That may be a throwback to the old FCC interim designators. For example,
if you upgraded at the Buffalo (NY) FCC office, your call was W3ABC/BF.
We used to say "Interim BullFrog". At least I did. :-) It indicated that
you had just upgraded so your class on file may be outdated, and to
check with that FCC office for details. Each FCC office had a
designator. That was before field upgrades such as /AG, Etc.

Also there is /B for Beacon.

Joe M.