Mike, if you don't want to cut the maxtrac up, using the coax works just fine, I had the same issue, and I knew the coax would do the trick, but I wanted to make sure there would be no desence.  Cut the power down on your transmitter to as low as it will go before it gets any spurs, so that the power out is clean, then reduce the rest with the coax.  I did not even put mine in a can or metal box, hangs on the side of the cabinet, and I have no problems at all.  My atnenna with a height of only 60' is usable for about 30 miles mobile, and about 10 miles handi-talkie, and works no problem.  Just don't use cheap connectors, make sure they are good and tight, and you will be fine.  Good luck.

Mathew

Mike Perryman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Matt,
I guess I am not the only one missing part of the intended info...

1. Jumper around the final.. according to Kevin output is now 3W
2. Next put an attenuator inline to get the 3W down to 350 mils to 500 mils.  9dB should leave approx 325 mils. There are mini-circuits pads available SMA in SMA out that will handle the job with ease.  And they are cheap to acquire.
3.  Don't forget to leave the filter in-line as well.

Now you can drive the 110W continous duty PA appropriately .

This is the main reason I don't post to this group.  Most people are too busy taking pot-shots at other folks suggestions with little regard for assisting the person requesting help.  Conversely, there are some very knowledgable folks here who always try to help out.

But the S/N ratio just not up to snuff.

Kevin W3KKC, thanks for your hospitality and the resources you have provided.  Please pardon the bandwidth for my rant...  it will be the last one.  I think I can find pretty much anything I am looking for posted on your web site.  If not I will pick your brain off-line.  There are others who have been most helpful, and focused on the issues...  to you all, thanks as well.  I am not going away mad...  just going away.

To the rest of you...

See ya down the log

Mike

kbednar99 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I'm using a Motorla Maxtrac for a 2 meter remote base, currently
running 40 watts. I have a PA from a Mastr II cont. duty base, that
only needs .5 watt for 110 watt output. Anyone know of an easy way to
drop the power down on the Maxtrac? These radios wont really go down
below 10 watts, and get very flaky under that. I'm thinking about
bypassing the final amp stage on the Maxtrac, as the 2nd stage maxes
out at about 3 watts to drive the PA to 30 watts. Anyone done this
before, or have any other ideas? TIA to all.
Kevin
K2KMB