--- Chuck Kelsey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Yes, that's what the book says.
>
> However, I'm talking about someone out in a mobile
> environment where you
> have many other factors in play, including ambient
> road noise. Most people
> are hard pressed to be able to notice a 6 dB change
> under those conditions.
>
> Since we are talking repeaters here, most of our
> users are on a mobile or
> HT, outside of a quiet, stable environment. Usually
> moving a couple of
> inches or feet is going to make way more difference
> than 6 dB.
>
> That's my "real world" take anyway.

That seems to be my real world also.  I have not seen
that much maximum range as the the power or antenna
gain goes up but it does seem to fill in some of the
local holes beter.  In the 70's there were some 6 foot
long whips for 2 meters.  If you could stop the car
you would usually get slightly beter range or signal.
While in motion they flopped around so much the 1/4
wave whips would out range them.  A good stiff antenna
would out range the floppy ones that were longer and
had more gain.

The area I am in (North Carolina) is full of low
hills.  The repeaters were usually about 300 to 800
feet HAAT at the time.  We did some antenna changeing
on the same car and it depended on the direction the
car was facing and the repeater as to what gave a
beter signal.  Sometimes the 1/4 wave beat the others.
 On one repeater a 40 meter antenna mounted on the
bumper beat all the others.

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail