Joel,

When seeking the best price for a radio or repeater, I send out an "RFQ"
(Request for Quote) form to at least a half dozen dealers, both in and
out of state.  I specify EXACTLY what I want, so the dealer cannot try
to "bundle" some slow-moving accessories with the repeater or make
substitutions, and I call for a "bottom line" price that includes all
applicable taxes and shipping charges.  After all, the bottom line is
what comes out of my pocket.

Invariably, the best prices come from large-volume dealers.  I know that
a dealer who does a half million dollars per month in sales is going to
get a much better wholesale price from Kenwood than Billy Bob's Radio
and Bait Shop in East Podunk.  (Used only for illustration; East Podunk
residents, please don't write!)  I will not pay an outrageous price,
just to keep Billy Bob in business!

If you want to buy a TKR-750 repeater for Amateur Radio use on 2m, be
careful that you specify a TKR-750K2 radio, and NOT the TKR-750K radio.
The K2 radio is specified for 136-150 MHz, while the K radio is
specified for 146-174 MHz.  Obviously, the K2 radio is peaked over the
entire 2m band- but you still must tune the RF front end for optimum
sensitivity before placing the radio in service.

When you order the radio, also order the Service Manual B51-8556-10, the
KPG-66D Programming Software, and the KPG-46 Programming Interface
Cable.  Naturally, your RFQ should include these accessories with the
order for the TKR-750K2 repeater.

One last comment, although the TKR-750 repeater has many useful
features, including a built-in Morse IDer, it does not have a Courtesy
Beep.  If you desire this feature, you'll need an external controller.

73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY

Joel Mele wrote:

... Can anyone recommend a source for a Kenwood TKR-750 ?