So from what I am getting here.

Only some PA's are affected by the cable length.  Mine happens to be a
Master II Tband. It's only trial and error to discover it the problem.  It's
trial and error to make the cable length right so the PA is happy.

If I understand this right, what cause the problem is the PA's output is not
a true 50 ohms by failure or design.  This causes the 50 ohm coax to not be
matched to transfer the power from the PA to the duplexer.

So you alter the cable length to make it match the output of the PA
impedance.  Which in turn helps it to transfer the power to the duplexer.

Why does this work?  Isn't the input to the duplexer also 50 ohms?

Too much thinking for a Saturday morning!

-Tim