Well, I'm using just the box on 10M. Seems to work great (even better
than most repeaters) at full power with just a fan.

There are 'brains' in any remote mount radio control head. Yet, people
use just the box all the time. (MASTR IIs, Micors, Mitreks, Etc.)

You just have to replace the volume and squelch controls, the frequency
steering, and the on/off controls - same as any other.

Joe M.