Use a multiswitch.

I'm working on a 48" dish right now for looking at 101 alone ;)  Hope to be rid of a LOT of rain fade.

73, Tony W4ZT

At 09:00 PM 10/23/2004, you wrote:
Tom,

a little help here?   if I am going to look at sat. A  and sat. B with 2 dish's  is there a way to hook them into the same input on one receiver?

thanks John      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

----- Original Message -----
From: TGundo 2003
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, October 16, 2004 11:16 PM
Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Direct TV type dish?

I work for a high-end Custom home electronics company and deal with directv all of the time. Heres a few bits you may or may not find intresting.

1. Rain fade. Want to limit this? Put up three 1 meter dishes to look at the birds and have better signal reception. Yes, its an eyesore, but you hardly ever get rain fade!. The dishes are getting smaller and looking at three different positions in the sky, so they give up gain with the dish itself to look at all of these at the same time. They get away with this because the birds themselves are relativly high power. You can use up to a 1 meter dish to look at any one position in the sky and get much better signal, but not any bigger because again, the dish is too focused, At the 101 degree position there are actually three satellites which if I remember right are about 50 miles apart from each other in orbit, but at 24000 miles away thats virtually a single point in the sky from here. However, a dish bigger than 1 meter can single out one of the satellites. For you who have directv and have looked at your signal meter, with a 1 meter dish setup almost all of the transp! onders will read 100 all of the time with clear skys or even light clouds, and you hear toto flying by when rain fade actually knocks the signal out all together.

2. For long runs or commercial installs the standard is RG-11 coax to maintain signal level. There are amplifiers used for this as well. Stacker systems are becoming more common in MDU and high rise buildings. Basically, conventional satellite systems work 900 to 1500 as noted in a previously. The issue is that the reciever has to send a signal to the dish to switch between the a and b lnbs to look at the different birds, they cant both come down the line at the same time because they are both oviously coming down at the same frequency. You cannot just "split" the signal to multiple recievers because they would battle for control over the dish as channels are changed. Because of that distribution of that to dozens of recievers in a large building starts to get complicated because of  the voltage switches needed to facilitate the switching. The Stacker system sends the second dish feed down at 1500- 2 gig, so that all of the signals are on the line at the same time,! a on 900-1500, b on 1500 - 2000. Many of the recievers out there already have tuners built in that can accept the wideband input, just a simple trip into the service menu on the box and turn it on! Now we can amplify and split as needed to feed as many as you want! But RG-11 and 2 gig rated splitters and amps are a must.

Thats my two cents on the matter.

Tom
W9SRV