At 05:55 AM 1/25/05, you wrote:

>Hi all
>
>I've followed this thread with great interest seeing that our club
>just purchased a DB224E to replace an aged stationmaster.
>Question...We ordered the 138-150 mHz model, Tessco part # 62446.

Tessco is a "out of sight, out of mind" organization.
They do not know what the phrase "after-sale customer service" means.

>There was nothing in the paperwork referencing element spacing or
>anything else along those lines.

Yup.  They pulled a box off the shelf and shipped it.
Contact the factory and ask for a mounting diagram / spacing chart.

>Just info about pattern adjustment.

Please go to this web page:
<http://www.repeater-builder.com/rbtip/ant-sys-index.html>
Then scroll down to "Antennas" then "DB" and if you have anything
that isn't there already I'd like to get a copy.

>I told the Tessco rep our frequency, 146.730, and he
>said there is nothing to tune or do to the antenna...just set it

It's the "set it" that is the critical part here.

>and forget it.

That's true.

>I do realize that some of the comments during this discussion
>have been related to other models of the DB224,

Yup.  The person who started the thread is converting a
commercial range antenna down to the ham band.  He's
going to need to stretch the elements and get a new harness,
and at that point he'll have what you have.

>however,
>I fell compelled to ask if there is anything we should do to our
>antenna prior to installing it (will be checking all the bolts and
>nuts of course).

Buy a tube of Locktite and use it liberally after the nuts
and bolts are tight.

>Does the other thread that discussed the element
>spacing apply to my model?

Yep.  Get a factory spacing chart and use it.

Are you going to side mount it or top mount it?
If on the side, then the distance to the tower is very
important as it will control your pattern.  And if you
side mount it and you have ANY appreciable wind or
ice then GET A TOP BRACE MADE FOR THE JOB
and use it.