From: Kevin Custer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2005 1:30 PM
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Select CTCSS and CSQ on Micor Receivers

Jim Cicirello wrote:

>Hi Kevin:
>To answer your question:
>I am running a Cat-200 Controller.

Okay, It has separate inputs for COS and PL logic.

>The switch I was referring to is the PL Disable on the Motorola Card.

That switch likely does nothing in your case.  Since I converted your
station to a repeater, I would have cut the PL logic line from the stock
decoder to the Audio & Squelch module to isolate the COS and PL logic
signals.  In this case, your Micor no longer operates stock, so the
others that have replied with "stock" operation; that information
doesn't pertain to you.  This was done as I knew your machine was going
to be used as a ham repeater, and Reverse Burst wasn't available.  This
mod is necessary to allow AND Squelch to be utilized by the controller.

Since you have a controller to manage the state of access, the PL
Disable Switch (on the Station Control Module) (if working) would really
only be controlling the local speaker.

>This is the repeater you converted for me and I am getting ready to put in
>the tone reed. It is my understanding that when I do that, it will go to
>CTCSS, until I switch the PL Disable off, then it will go to CSQ.

That would be the case if your station was "stock", but since Reverse
Burst is usually not available in the ham circles, it had to be done
differently.  My conversion for the Micor to an amateur repeater makes
the station operate in carrier squelch all the time regardless of the
setting of the PL Disable Switch.  Realize that when you run an outboard
repeater controller that has both COS and PL inputs, those signals (from
the Micor) need separated and run to the controller independently.
Also, since the "controller" will be putting the repeater in and out of
PL, the station no longer needs to have that function, and it is
disabled to eliminate confusion.  Step 7 of the following page outlines
that:
<http://www.repeater-builder.com/rbtip/station-a-s.html>

> I am looking for the best way to use both CTCSS and CSQ and control it
thru the Cat-200 with Tones.

Simple.  Hook the logic available from J2 pin 10 (active high) to the PL
logic input on your controller.  Use the controller to set the access
state of the repeater.
The repeater will operate just like it does now, and the local speaker
will be active without regard to the way any switches are set or if PL
is being used or not.

Kevin Custer