--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, "Mike - WM4B"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Laryn,
>
> Once the repeater is up and there is no carrier present (i.e. after
> an ID, or after the user drops his carrier), the repeater will issue
> the reset beep, then there will be a brief burst of noise (we can
> never hear any audio/data on it, but it's really too short of a busrt
> to tell), the repeater senses loss of carrier again, issues the beep,
> and the cycle starts again.

Understood.

One thing I just thought of.  Could it be a bored, somewhat sick
kerchunker?  We have one here occasionally.  He will punch his PTT
immediately after the courtesy beep.  Everyone ignores the extra beep,
and he soon goes away.  I can hear the kerchunk on the repeater input
directly, so it definitely is man-made.

Laryn K8TVZ