You say "NOT often found in amateur radios".  My recollection of the history is that way back when there was no PL capability; this was followed by transmitting 100 Hz PL; then programmable PL xmit; and now I see many more radios capable of PL encode AND decode.
Our situation is that we have small local workgroups who need to converse locally, and occasionally chat with everybody in all groups.  If I thought about it, I could probably figure out a "best way" to arrange this with simplex & separate T&R freqs, and different PLs.  However, it might be too complicated for the average user to deal with.
73,
Don