What are the input and output frequencies of the repeater?  What is the
make and model?  Is there an isolator between the transmitter and the
duplexer?

Certain models of older repeaters can generate spurious carriers if the
shields are missing or improperly installed on the exciter.  There may
also be a "rusty metal diode" at work, creating an AM intermod signal
when your carrier mixes with another carrier, possibly a broadcast
station.  You might try banging on metal guy wires, sheet metal panels,
chain link fences, etc., to see if you can affect the modulation heard on
the AM aircraft band.

73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY