for what you are describing, it would be more worth your while to invest in
a cross banding mobile rig. that way you won't have to worry about getting a
controller, and duplexer's, etc. however, there is a fine line between cross
banding and a repeater. as long as you use it for short time use, and
identify it as your's and that you are cross banding there is nothing wrong
with it. i do the same here at my house, as i live in the woods (so to
speak) also.

there are several out there to choose from.
alinco DR-605tq 2/440 (i have) is a good solid rig, but it gets hot easily.
put a small 12v fan on the top of it to keep it cool and you will be good to
go.

the yaesu 8800 2/440 is also a cross banding rig. i have a couple of yaesu's
here and they are good rigs also. i do not however have the 8800.

as long as you use a good mobile antenna you should be ok. i have a diamond
SG7500nmo on my car. great antenna.

hope this info helps.
73

STEVE - KC8RSR