Paul,

My comment applied generally to VHF duplexers, which can be detuned by rough
handing.  At UHF, you can use a "mobile" duplexer, which is far more
rugged.  I was not thinking about GMRS being your intended application.

I don't think you need to employ a simplex repeater in this case.  They are
great for allowing users to hear how they sound to others, but they quickly
become annoying to use.  In some emergency situations, I can see a simplex
repeater being used on 2m, but only as a last resort.  I have a Zetron 19B
"Simplexor" which I use for site testing, but it is no longer made, and the
other units are either far more expensive (being tactical communication
bridges) or woefully low in audio quality and features (Radio Shack).

73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY