Title: Message
Kitchen dishwashers are also great for cleaning gunked-up mobile radio accessories like control heads, speakers, mics, mounting brackets, etc.  Remove the speakers, mic elements, PC boards that contain switches, and other electronics that don't take kindly to water first of course.  Even cable harnesses can go into the dishwasher - just put a baggie over the cable ends and seal with electrical tape (better to put these on the top rack away from the electric heater/dryer).  Avoid agressive automatic dishwasher detergents if there are metallized parts like brushed aluminum estucheons and the like.

Back in the day, after we had collected several PC or terminal keyboards that had suffered "coffee contamination" I'd run them through the dishwasher, key-side-down to assist in drainage/drying.  Probably 3/4 of them survived and could be returned to service.  A simple and non-time-consuming fix when you have nothing to lose and can't justify the time or cost to take apart and clean manually.
I'd like to second Skipps comments and add one of my own. At the factory we used ordinary dish washers (until we got the commercial washers) to clean PC boards.  Most components are water safe. Exceptions, are non hermetic parts like switches and transformers; things with paper or bakalite coil forms.  Spic and Span is a little harsh. For general cleaning, including automatic dish washers, useArm and Hammer baking soda.

If you think someone has used an acid flux (sometimes necessary to solder nickel or steel) clean with ammonia before the baking soda. Finally if you have rosin flux isopropyl alcohol works well. Don't use rubbing alcohol (contains water) or use alcohol in the automatic dish washer (it will burn).

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS