> No. A "typical" UHF ham rig will have better sensitivity than most
> repeaters with a preamp. A commercial mobile (without preamp)
> will have
> sensitivity slightly worse than the repeater with the preamp. 99% of
> hams will be using a ham rig, not a commercial one.

OK, tell you what.  It's snowing like hell here this weekend, I've got some
time to kill.  Tomorrow I'm going to put a couple test subjects on the bench
and will report back what I measure.

> Yep. You may experience more intermod with the hotter
> receiver, but the
> intermod is most likely going to swamp the mobile receiver no matter
> what power level the repeater is running, at least most of the time.

Which is why a mobile receiver with a real front end and less sensitivity is
better...

> I'd be interested in someone actually trying this with a UHF
> system that
> is running 200+ watts. Drop it to 100 watts without telling anyone.
> Leave it there for a week or two and see if anyone notices.

Chances are nobody will notice.  But then again, they probably wouldn't
notice if you put a 3 dB pad between your duplexer and receiver either...

                                                        --- Jeff