If we went around putting 3 dB pads on our repeaters until someone
noticed, we'd soon have a repeater that no one would be able to use.  In
this forum, most of us strive for the best operation we can afford, or
set-up up to our best ability.  A matched system is one that works as
well in one direction as it does the other.  With the results of Jeff's
testing, which match closely my own, the numbers speak for themselves.
A repeater receiver with -125+ dB of sensitivity needs 150+ watts to
remain a matched system.

By the same token, there is nothing wrong with a repeater that out-hears
the transmitter.  If you feel there is no reason to run more than 50 or
100 watts, then fine, but some of us have the site conditions and
equipment to allow greater sensitivity to be met with more power.  I
have a repeater running 5 watts, and it works fine.

To each his own...

Kevin Custer