At 10:47 PM 06/01/06, you wrote:
Mike,

I just tried the link and got a "404 error" - Page cannot be found.

Damn.  The clickable link was looking for "mil-hdbk-419.pdf" and
it was stored on the server as "mil-hdbk-419a.pdf", so naturally
it wouldn't find it.

Otherwise I can find Vol. 1 of 2 all day long - what's so special about Vol.
2?  ;-)

Volume one is theory, volume two is practice.

To quote the book:

>This handbook emphasizes the necessity for including
>considerations of grounding, bonding, and shielding in all
>phases of design, construction, operation, and maintenance of
>electronic equipment and facilities. Volume I,
>Basic Theory, develops the principles of personnel protection, fault
>protection, lightning protection,
>interference reduction, and EMP protection for C-E facilities.

Whatever "C-E" facilities are.... maybe communications and electronics ??

>In addition, the basic theories of earth
>connections, signal grounding, electromagnetic shielding, and
>electrical bonding are presented. The subjects are
>not covered independently, rather they are considered from the
>standpoint of how they influence the design of
>the earth electrode subsystem of a facility, the selection of ground
>reference networks for equipments and
>structures, shielding requirements, facility and equipment bonding
>practices, etc. Volume I also provides the
>basic background of theory and principles that explain the technical
>basis for the recoin m ended practices and
>procedures, illustrates the necessity for care and thoroughness in
>implementation of grounding, bonding, and
>shielding; and provides supplemental information to assist in the
>solution of those problems and situations not
>specifically addressed.
>
>In Volume II, Applications, the principles and theories, including
>RED/BLACK protection, are reduced to the
>practical steps and procedures which are to be followed in structural
>and facility development, electronic
>engineering, and in equipment development. These applications should
>assure personnel, equipment and
>structural safety, minimize electromagnetic interference (EMI)
>problems in the final operating system; and
>minimize susceptibility to and generation of undesirable emanations.
>
>The emphasis in Volume II goes beyond
>development to assembly and construction, to installation and
>checkout, and to maintenance for long term use.
>
>Four appendices are provided as common elements in both volumes.
>Appendix A is a glossary of selected words
>and terms as they are used herein.
>If not defined in the glossary, usage is in accordance with Federal Standard
>1037, Glossary of Telecommunication Terms.
>Appendix B is a supplemental bibliography containing selected
>references intended to supply the user with additional material.
>Appendix C contains the table of contents for
>the other volume. Appendix D contains the index for the two-volume set.

One interesting item is that (as I was told) 419 is
the companion document to MIL-STD-1916,
which I can't find as a PDF.

BTW Volume 2 starts on page 419 of the file.

Mike WA6ILQ

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS