Rod -
I would suggest a short conversation with Mike Bryce, WB8VGE.  In addition to
the Heathkit Shop, Mike contributed chapters and sections to the new ARRL
publication Emergency Power.  He can discuss your "total system" from current
demands, to expected current generating capabilties of the solar panel you
selected.  http://www.theheathkitshop.com/
Mike's "day job" is with Sunlight Energy Systems in North Lawrence, Ohio
http://www.seslogic.com/Site%208/Products.html
I agree with earlier responses:
1. Get a proper battery charging unit - for the solar panel - "smart chargers"
are now very inexpensive and can properly manage your batteries.
2. You should ONLY be using deep cycle cells - used in marine industry and
Uniteruptable power systems -- DO NOT stop at your local automotive dealer --
car/truck batteries are totally inapprorpiate for this application.  The size
and capacity fo the cells must be matched to your load AND to the expected
solar panel charging ability. (This is the "teeter totter" part of the design).
Greg, w9gb
-----------------------
Posted by: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" [EMAIL PROTECTED]   selah_102
Sun Dec 3, 2006 9:12 am (PST)
Here is the info on the system and my question:

Let me tell you about what I have:

One 110 watt panel, one 115 watt panel, one 400 watt wind gen, two bridge
rectifiers, two 1500 cca batteries, two GM300 radios, one IDer, one NHRC4
DTMF controller, one dump load circuit with two dump lines, four 300 watt
1.2 ohm resisters for the dump lines.

Now when the repeater is turned on, it draws one amp and in tx it draws
about 7 amps. For isolation for the panels I have one 85 amp diode on the
plus and negative lines to keep the wind gen from energizing the panels with
up to 41 amps.

Now for some reason the panels and the wind gen are not keeping the two
batteries charged. Not sure why. The panels are set for the winter setting for
my location. I was at the site today to test the batteries, because the
repeater was not working. Both batteries tested at 7.81 volts and the panels
tested at 8 volts at about 4 pm. The sun was almost down.

We pulled the one fuse that all the voltage goes thru and I will go up there
tomorrow and check the voltage on the batteries in sun light. The current
from the batteries can not back feed to the wind gen due to the bridge
rectifiers (the wind gen produces ac). The wind gen can not back feed to the
panels due to the 84 amp diodes on the positive and negative lines. The two
batteries are not isolated from each other.

On November 18 the batteries tested at 12.79, repeater was turned on. We
took the batteries down to about 11.9 using an inverter with 110 volt ac test
equepment plugged in. On November 24 the voltage was 11.27. On
Novemner 28 the voltage was about 10 volts. I turned the repeater off (tx
radio only) remotely. Then you have all the information I stated above. I will
be going up there today after church.

>From what all I have told you, do you see anything why the two panels a lone
should not keep the batteries up? The repeater has been turned off since
last Tuesday morning. But yet the batteries are still being drained. In the
turned off mode, I mean the tx radio is turned off, but everything else is
still
on.

The last three days have been sunny day here in Yakima, with no wind for
the wind gen. I am at a loss of what is going on; the batteries are getting
weaker. Why?

Rod