Nah, I don't agree with that opinion.

It is true that when the FCC implemented incentive licensing many years ago,
a lot of hams were upset.  They needed to increase their knowledge base
(through upgrading), to obtain more privileges in the ham radio spectrum.
Before that was done, the hams were complacent to sit on their licenses, use
the frequencies assigned to them, and not learn any additional electronic
knowledge unless they wanted to.  I happen to know of a ham, now in his
70's, who is still very upset of this happening to him.

On the other side of the coin, the FCC, in their infinite wisdom, decided
that the so called "technical pool" needed revamping.  Their "vision", so to
speak, was to make average Joe ham a deal.  Obtain more knowledge, get more
privileges.  If you look at the people in the technical field of electronics
and RF, you will find that there are many hams out there because of that
ruling.  I'm not saying that ham radio produces more electronic engineers
and technicians; what I mean by that is someone who is interested in ham
radio or electronics might want to pursue a formal education in the
electronics industry.  It goes hand in hand.

I would truly doubt if the FCC would abolish what little is left of the ham
radio spectrum to business interests.  It just doesn't make any sense.  Why
fool around with the ham community when the "technical pool" keeps
happening?

Agreed, ham radio is a small community.  But when you consider and factor in
what it does in the big picture of communications and RF, I highly doubt
that the government would take away the amateur service.

Besides, the ARRL would have a field day if this would ever happen.

Just my $0.02 . . .. .

Don, KD9PT