At 1/5/2007 07:47 AM, you wrote:

> >Mention was made of how to deal with compensation.  I've built ovens of
> >various types, and even used PTC thermistors soldered directly to the case
> >of the crystal as a heater, with good results.  I think Bob NO6B did the
> >same - you QRV Bob?

Yes, I've been soldering 50 °C PTC thermistors to crystal cases for some
time.  On my last project using a rather unstable crystal I discovered that
the PTC thermistors don't provide as much thermal stability as I thought
(transition not sharp enough?), so I built up a feedback controller based
on a design out of an old National Semiconductor databook using a dual op
amp.  I used thermal epoxy to mount a 51 ohm heater resistor & LM34
temperature sensor onto the crystal.  The circuit is able to hold the
temperature at the LM34 within +/- 0.2 °F.  Now the only thermal drift I
see is due to the temperature effect on the oscillator transistor on the
exciter board.

Bob NO6B