At 07:04 PM 1/8/2007, you wrote:

>I beg to differ. I downloaded the brochure and data sheet for the TKR-751,
>and it appears that it is intended for the European market, since it has the
>5-Tone signaling capability. It also is designed with the low end of its
>tuning to be 146 MHz, which doesn't help Amateurs who need a repeater in the
>144-146 MHz segment.

<-----True but even the VHF K version has no issues in moving down to
144 mHz (while we generally try to supply a K2, occasionally someone
insists on a K because they may want to move it higher at some
point). And they 100% meet (or exceed) spec.

Brochures are fine but experience with the beast is better :-).

As for the 5 tone, ok, you got me! Minor for most applications however.

>The TKR-750K2, on the other hand, was designed for 136-150 MHz and
>completely covers the 2m Amateur band, out of the box. I am not suggesting
>that the TKR-751 cannot be tuned or programmed to operate out of band, but
>some of us Hams like to buy equipment that we know is designed to work over
>the entire 2m band, without tweaking, bit-banging, or modification.

<---No mod needed. Even the VCOs are quite happy.

>Let's not forget that BOTH the TKR-750 and the TKR-751 must have their
>helical front ends tuned manually to cover whatever frequency is chosen for
>operation. This caveat is in the fine print of the brochure and the service
>manual.

<---Yep, which is why we spec the TKR's that go through here
"programmed AND tuned").

Ken
President and CTO - Arcom Communications
Makers of the world famous RC210 Repeater Controller and accessories.
http://www.ah6le.net/arcom/index.html
Authorized Dealers for Kenwood and Telewave and
we offer complete repeater packages!
AH6LE/R - IRLP Node 3000
http://www.irlp.net