The ojective is not gain amperage, I have plenty of that.  This one is
available for free to me, and is brand new.  This would release the 70 amp
Astron for use back in the ham shack for all the HF equipment, and would serve
also as a standby.  Since the repeater is the only unit in this shack, unless
the noise was present on the repeater, there is nothing else to suffer noise.
The answer to the question has come, however, the final result will be today
when I switch them out and see if it brings any noises to the repeater.

  Mathew

skipp025 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> If the supply you are using is fine why change? Yes, you
> would gain some amperage capacity.

Relative example...
A room full of Motorola Repeater Stations in non constant
service costs about $30/month each to operate. Put the repeater
into lock to talk mode (IRLP or Echolink) and the energy cost
rises by almost a third (typical).

One of the energy soaks is the well designed and constructed
transformers within the repeater power supplies.

Replacing the hungry Motorhead Power Supplies cuts at least
1/2 off the power bill, which is much nicer when you're the one
having to pay it.

> However, switching supplies are inherently noisy. You
> could experience problems from these noises. I realize
> we are not talking about HF. But, it is possible to wind
> up with a problem you don't have now.

Many of the common 13.8 vdc switchers sold to the ham market
will hose up at least the 160 meter ham band no problem, which
is just above the am broadcast band I have on the shop when
XM is stale.

> If that 50 amp supply is fine, I see no advantage in the change.
> Dave

Cheers Dave,
skipp