I've tuned duplexers with a signal gen and receiver, with  a spectrum
anal with tracking gen and sweep gen with detector.  The spectrum
anal with tracking gen was the best, but all worked.

One thing a sweep gen gives you is not only the notch, but the width
of the notch which a simple gen with rcvr does not unless one moves
back and forth in freq.

If you write an article one note to put in.  Often it is required one
slows down the sweep for the detector will not show the complete
notch for it occurs fast.  Slowing it down will show the true
response.

73, ron, n9ee/r