On Jun 16, 2007, at 8:27 PM, Paul Finch wrote:

> Steve,
>
> Had a question from one of the guys, does D-star have NAC codes? or
> use IP? Do we need to stress the need to coordinate or organize the
> NAC and access codes.
>
> Paul

Not sure how this relates to the tower thread, Paul -- but the answer
is no.  The repeater callsign is used for "access", from everything
I've read.  Also you MUST have a club callsign for the repeater if
the ham that owns it wants to access it.  (His user radio would have
his callsign, the repeater must have its own.)

D-Star has nothing like the P-25 system with a NAC, or "pseudo-NAC"
like the ones defined in the specification that act like carrier
squelch systems and allow all users with digital signals through the
repeater.

It also has no talk groups to speak of.  A shame, really.

It's not a very well thought-out protocol for the typical uses of
Amateurs.

--
Nate Duehr, WY0X