Ok let's compare open wire line to coax. Assuming the same resistive loss in
open wire line as that of a coax cable (same size center conductor as open
wire line) we have the following:

200 watts into a 50 ohm line impedance will have a current of 2 amps. I
squared R = 2x2=4x50 = 200 watts.

Now if we put that same 200 watts into a 600 ohm open wire line we have a
current of  only .577 amps.

.577x.577=.333x600 = 199.75 rounded to 200 watts.

Notice how much less the current is. If our lines have a resistance of say
10 ohms the 50 ohm line at 2 amps will have a loss of 2x2=4x10 or 40 watts.
(I just picked 10 ohms as an arbitrary loss resistance)

With the open wire line with a current of .577 amps we will have a loss of
.577x.577=.333x10 = 3.33 watts.

Quite a difference in loss by just changing the impedance of the line! All
because of less current!

You can go to quite a bit of a smaller conductor in an open wire line than
in coax and still be ahead of the losses.

The ARRL handbook has a graph showing the relative losses of different coax
cables compared to open wire line.

The major factor in coax line impedance is the ratio of the center conductor
size to that of the shield. The dielectric material does play a part but not
near as much as the diameter ratios.

Skin effect is the major contributor to line loss up to UHF. Skin effect is
the cause of the resistance in the conductors in the line. It has nothing to
do with the surge impedance of the line. Dielectric loss contributes very
little to loss below UHF. Above that if does become a major factor.

As frequency goes up so does skin effect loss. The surface of the conductor
becomes thinner as far as RF goes with increased frequency as the RF does
not penetrate as deeply.

73

Gary  K4FMX

  _____