If your coax is the same impedance as your transmitter, but different than
your load, can it still be a transformer though?  Is it possible to
transform a load that isn't 50 ohms to 50 ohms using 50 ohm coax?

Yes your right VSWR is the ratio between Vmax and Vmin, node and anodes, of
the interference pattern caused by standing waves.  Even still there is a
point where the voltage is at a minimum on the line.  What happens if that
point is at the transmitters output... does it help keep the heat down in
the transmitter due to high SWR?