Yes coax is lossier with reflected power on it. The part of the power that
gets reflected from the antenna back toward the transmitter gets attenuated
a second time by whatever lose the cable has to begin with. Then when that
portion of the power gets re-reflected at the transmitter end and is on its
way back to the antenna again it suffers attenuation a 3rd time by the coax
so all the re-reflected power does not make it back to the antenna.
Then a portion of the re-reflected power gets reflected again back toward
the transmitter along with the new wave of power. This repeats itself again
and again adding to the loss but after a few round trips of bouncing up and
down the feed line most of it gets radiated and some has gotten attenuated
to a miniscule amount.
Of course this process is continuously repeated as power is constantly
applied from the transmitter.

But my reason for using the first wattmeter and the tuner was to have a
nearly perfect flat load on the transmitter so that one could see the true
power coming out of the transmitter.
The second wattmeter after the tuner will then show the higher power which
would be the sum of the forward and re-reflected power so it could be seen
that reflected power does indeed get re-reflected at the transmitter (in
this case at the tuner)and makes its way back to the antenna.

In common applications with just a single wattmeter and no tuner involved
where there is reflected power on the line the wattmeter in the forward
position will show the forward power plus the re-reflected power. To find
power out of the transmitter you would subtract the reflected power shown in
the reverse position from the indicated forward power on the meter. This
works over a wide range of impedances with a bird wattmeter.

73
Gary  K4FMX