Eric,

We have pretty much determined the feedline is ok since the VHF is shared with
a UHF system and the UHF is fine.  It still could be the crossband coupler at
the top.

However, we have seen a number of exposed dipole antennas eaten with the salt
air, many in 5-6 years. Mostly ones less than 1 mile from the water.

Salt air studies show at about 1 mile from a salt water the salt in the air
starts to drops dramitically.

Although we are in the lightning capital of the US, 3rd in the world, few side
mounted fiber glass enclosed antennas have problems and do last much longer in
the salt air.  Also fiber glass enclosed antennas in some installs at 300 ft
and top mounted have been up for about 20 years.

I have heard of the station masters having problems due to the solder assembly,
but I've seen many last 20+ years probably because most are side mounted and do
not suffer direct or server lightning.

It will be a long time before I install another exposed dipole antenna this
close to the salt water.  Just seen too many problems.

73, ron, n9ee/r

Ron Wright, N9EE
727-376-6575
MICRO COMPUTER CONCEPTS