Look inside the unit and find the ram IC that is plugged into the Dallas
Semiconductor battery backup chip.  Remove the ram IC from the battery backup
chip for several seconds and plug it back in.  It will default back to the
factory original 12123.

  The controller will not be in the normal RS-232 control mode (be sure you
build the special cable shown in the manual) after this operation though.  It
will be in the 'Model 8' mode.  Here is the way to get it back into the normal
RS-232 mode so you can enter the 12123 and get access:

  If the port is currently set for Model 8 mode and DTMF programming on the
radio channel is
  not possible, the terminal may be used to simulate a Model 8 to change the
settings. Perform the following procedure: Set the terminal for 4800 baud, then
cycle power on the Model 38.  The message "READY" will appear on the terminal,
followed by a "_" prompt. On the CRT, type in "19", then press the ENTER key.
The message "CRT" should appear, (selects CRT mode) and press "ENTER". When the
"_" prompt returns, type in "1" and press "ENTER". Now cycle power on the panel
to get the "Enter Password ==> _" prompt.

  73 - Jim  W5ZIT

rwjohn49 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
          Folks,

I just got a Zetron 38A at a hamfest. Works fine in the repeater but I
have tried the password code and no results. It is listed in the book
as 12123#. Someone must have changed it... What do I do now? Can it
be set back to a factory default?

thanks,

ron