At 11/6/2007 15:04, you wrote:

>If you're the type of person who enjoys doing things from the
>ground up... then the conversions and kits are the way to go if
>you have the test equipment to get the show on the road once it's
>built. Otherwise you might consider a turn-key repeater from
>the Repeater Builder folks, Hamtronics or Maggiore.
>
>I would not suggest you go with the Midland 13-509 conversion
>because after all the work is done... the receiver is just not
>the best performer.

I completely disagree.  I've built a couple of 13-509 systems & continue to
service a couple of others.  Given what it is, it performs exceptionally
well.  I have one literally sitting in the middle of downtown LA @ 1000 ft.
AMSL with nothing but a notch duplexer between the RX & the antenna, & it
hears quite well with no IMD.

Bob NO6B