On Nov 8, 2007, at 10:59 AM, Keith, KB7M wrote:

> This is an issue that is highly misunderstood, and commonly abused.
> A "crossband" repeater is still a repeater and must therefore follow
> all of the rules for repeater operation.  Unfortunately, the common
> dual-band mobile radio that supports repeater mode generally does
> not include ANY support for automatic control.

Actually I believe the new Kenwood dual-bander added CWID's, but I
hear they mute the audio passing through the dual-bander when they
occur, so the feature isn't quite done right, but it's a move in the
right direction.  Most dual-banders don't have this and the direction
from repeater -> dual-bander -> your HT is not ID'd legally.  The
Kenwood will do it, supposedly -- but I don't have one to test with.

> So, unless you somehow provide for all of the requirements of
> automatic control, you MUST provide some other means of control - RF
> remote, wireline remote, or Direct control.  Again, the run of the
> mill dual band mobile radio doesn't provide any means for remote
> control.  The only option left is a control operator sitting in the
> car with the radio.

This also isn't true even of older Kenwood's -- they would accept DTMF
commands while in dual-band mode and it could be turned off, etc.

> So, to answer your question, unless you provide for the same control
> capabilities any normal repeater would have as discussed at length
> in this thread, you can sit in your car and control the radio, but
> you CANNOT put your mobile radio in crossband mode and walk away
> from it.

Only partially true, depends on the dual-bander.

For the record, I'm not defending the practice of using a dual-band
rig as a repeater, nor do I like it really -- just saying that the
information provided is somewhat inaccurate in light of new
developments in the dual-band radio world these days...

--
Nate Duehr, WY0X