Chuck, how far vertically above the portables would that 420-style
antenna have been, considering the hills in the area, etc.

Laryn K8TVZ

--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Kelsey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> We had a DB-420 style antenna (actually it was made by Signals, but
it was folded-dipole design) on our UHF repeater at work. We were
constantly having difficulty with portables being able to hit and hold
the repeater and they were no more than 1/2 mile out. The local
M/A-Com shop kept saying "too much antenna." We changed it out to a
DB-408 and the problem was corrected. We are in rolling hills and the
antenna was about 70' above ground level at a water tank. I plotted
the antenna pattern against topographic map data and discovered that
the portables were in some deep nulls with the higher-gain antenna.