The two "standards" for reverse-burst are switchable
in some of the newer radios, such as those that use
CPS for programming. Prior to about 10 years ago,
Motorola was under the mind-set that you either bought
all your radios from them or none of your radios from
them, so system inter-operability didn't concern them.
If you bought a "Brand X" radio and used it in your
Motorola system, they hoped the audible squelch burst
would be annoying enough to get you to go with their
brand exclusively. Unfortunately this backfired and a
lot of customers went totally with "Brand X" instead
of "Brand M". Hence, we now have two slightly
incompatible standard methods.

Then we have some of the Japanese amateur radios that
don't recognize any reverse burst, and always give you
a squelch burst on a PL system.

The old PL reed encode/decode units used until the mid
1980s, tended to be a lot more forgiving about the
phase difference. In fact, the very old encoders from
the 1960s used a center-tapped transformer on the PL
board, and switched from one phase to the other with
the undelayed section of a T/R relay, so the phase was
probably 180 degrees back then. It's only the newer
radios with microprocessor-based tone decoders that
can recognize and enforce the 120 degree shift.

DCS (DPL in the Motorola world) got rid of this dual
standard by using a 134 Hz turn-off code for about 200
mSec. ALL equipment now plays together a lot better.
The only incompatability is with normal vs inverted
codes, and this is more a function of the exciter and
modulator circuitry that is, by nature, different
between various manufacturers.

"So endeth the lesson for today, gentlemen." (spoken
by Mrs. Whistler, the little old lady in South Africa
in the opening scene of Ian Fleming's James Bond 007
in "Diamonds Are Forever")

Bob M.
======

<http://www.personainternet.com/~northscan/dcss.html>