> Cort Buffington <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Repeater Builders,
> I pose to you all a question. I have two UHF duplexers, both 4
> cavity pass-reject. One is a Wacom (the ubiquitous 3U rackmount
> guy) and the other is from a Motorola MSR2000.

Both very fine units for what they are.

> I have really poor equipment, and don't necessarily "trust"
> manufacturer specs. Anybody have an opinion on which one is
> better, or pros and cons to each?

Nothing bad to say about each one...

> The rest of the RF equipment are Hamtronics T304 and R305
> and a Mirage D-1010-RN. The T304 is "throttled" back so
> that the Mirage is making about 55-60W. I'm currently running
> on the MSR2000 duplexer, not tuned as well as it could be.
> Some desense, and some is probably curable with better tuning
> of the duplexer,

Nat's-a$$ alignment of the duplexer including the notch positions
will make a large difference in the overall system performance.

> helical preselector on the front end, etc.

Depends on how the helical pre-selector is constructed. Some designs
have active included active preamplifiers and some are straight
forward filters, which are "only so helpful".

> But so far, I'm finding the additional receiver sensitivity
> (over say a Mitrek/MSR or Micor) is far out-weighing the desense
> 73 DE N0MJS
> Cort

Most of the current Hamtronics Receivers are red-hot in the
sensitivity department, pretty fair in the 3rd order intercept
performance and "fair" in the "blocking" performance spec.

The elephant in the room is the 60 watt output PA and the
relatively unprotected receiver front end.

A complete/proper duplexer alignment will be the most bang for
your buck. In specific you need to ensure the duplexer band-reject
notch frequencies are properly spaced.

A non-technical broad statement regarding duplexer notch and
band-pass operation. Relative to the grand scheme of things more
relative performance is often gained with strong/deep notch-out
performance (of the unwanted other frequency) versus band-pass
only (of the desired frequency).

Folks with modest resources often adjust band-pass, band-reject
duplexers using the max power into a watt meter/load method.
Much system performance is lost when the reject-notch tuning
is discounted or ignored for lack of proper test equipment.

Unless you know for sure someone has properly aligned the duplexer
notch (band-reject) positions you can and should assume they
are not exactly in the best possible position.

Once again... the duplexer reject notch adjustment is another
one of the few repeater performance "free lunch" items, which
should not be ignored. Because there are only a few "free lunch"
items on the menu.

cheers,
s.