  From: Nate Duehr
  To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Wednesday, December 26, 2007 11:20 AM
  Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Re: 10 meter desense help, split site, high
noise floor.

  On Dec 25, 2007, at 11:50 AM, Paul Plack wrote:

  > Keith, we're also stuck with band-planning on other bands which
  > didn't anticipate the popularity of FM repeaters. 2m is even more
  > screwed up. Why have only 600 kHz offset, when it could have easily
  > been double that? Duplexers would have been smaller, less expensive,
  > worked better, etc.

  I think 2m is screwed up mostly because manufacturers keep making
  radios that are virtually loss-leaders for the band. When you can buy
  a 2m 50W mobile for right around $150, and it's $400 to get into a
  dual-bander... well, do the math.

  I think the manufacturers are just as responsible for the overcrowding
  of VHF as anything.

  Perhaps they should stop doing ultra-cheap VHF rigs and start doing
  cheap UHF only rigs. Or 220. Or 900. Or 1.2 GHz. (Yeah, see how
  silly that sounds? They're not going to.)

  --
  Nate Duehr, WY0X