>Well... a couple of things here...

1) I apparently was misremembering my earlier tests (like that word?
heh....). Indeed if I use my service monitor and switch on encoded
tone after carrier is well established, the decoder in the MSF
responds relatively quickly and apparently with the amount of delay
I'd expect. Admittedly I didn't measure the exact timing but it is in
line with other decoders in my experience.

The EEPROMS in my unit are dated 1990 so that probably answers the
manufacture date of this MSF.

Which brings us to C8164 and C8165.

I can find neither on the SSCB (I can find 8161 and 8170 though)

Ken
Never attribute to malice that which can be satisfactorily explained
by stupidity. It could be that the purpose of your life is only to
serve as a warning to others.