Cort,

The problems most people have with colinears in radomes is (1) leakage of water
into antennas assembled from more than one section, (2) internal connections
which break or develop intermittents, and (3) they're often completely
destroyed in a lightning strike, sometimes spectacularly, because the
small-diamater conductors vaporize inside the sealed radome, causing an
explosion.

(1) Can be addressed by using antennas with one-piece radomes. In theory, the
right preparation to seal junctions might also work. In long-term
installations, the gel-coat on the radomes will break down under UV radiation
from the sun, followed by the fiberglass, which may allow water migration
through the radome.

(2) Broken internal connections can develop quickly if a fiberglass radome
antenna is top-mounted on a tower. If it's side-mounted, with a brace for the
top to stop waving in the wind, they can last much longer.

(3) Some people swear by various lightning arrestor or static-dissipation
schemes. I have no personal experience here. Others just put up a heavy-duty
exposed-dipole array, which can often live through direct lightning hits with
only cosmetic damage.

Some people have good luck with Diamond or Comet, especially at sites with low
potential for intermod.

73,
Paul, AE4KR