I haven't had as many problems with lightning and the fiberglass
antennas as I have with wind causing fractures in the connections
between the elements. In the case of the coasts, you have to deal with
that AND salt, so I doubt there is any good solution.

The above said, I do believe the 224 type antennas do handle lightning
better - I didn't mean to imply that they don't. I'm only saying in
those I've seen wind is the bigger threat. In the case of a top mounted
antenna, there is no way to stabilize the top of the fiberglass antenna.

Joe M.