Dick,

I was really getting into your comments until you recommended Radio Shack as a
source for connector sealing material, hi.  Yep we are going to get some good
stuff for sealing the connectors at 1175 ft AGL.

Lightning, from professional studies I've seen, has most of its energy from DC
to about 1 MHz and then tapers off at 20 db/decade from there.  There is a lot
of high freq energy.

Well, if one gets a direct lightning hit about any commercial 2-way or less
antenna is toast or spinters or...just gone to antenna heaven.  The concern by
most is indirect hits and protection of equipment.  The DC grounding helps
some, but also helps with other static noise build up.

The antenna installation is well designed for lightning in that it is a FM
broadcast station. The feedline I am on is part of the station and they take
very seriously lightning protection.  The way my system is assembled I have
little fear for the equipment on the ground.  It is just the way the system is
put together.

I don't think anyone suggested painting the antenna would help with lightning.
The discussion was how to extend the life of an antenna and my interest was for
use in heavy salt air.  This is the reason for going to a fiberglass enclosed
antenna over the exposed dipole type like the DB224.  Would prefer the DB224
because of the pattern control, but antenna life is also a major factor.  I am
going with the Telewave ANT150F6-2.  I will get some pattern distortion due to
the tower, 7 ft face, but will probably get wider coverage than what I had with
DB224.  Wider in that the pattern will be more cirmetrical around the tower.

Thanks for your comments.

73, ron, n9ee/r

ps: I have copies of a hand written 30 page document made from a study by GE in
the 70s on lightning protection for 2-way sites.  This was done by degreed
engineer studying sites with the understanding of how electricity works.  Not
just a well this worked and this did not, but why this worked or did not.