How could they stop it when they are still issuing vanity club calls
(which a local club just got one of within the last month or so)?

BTW, all licenses have trustees. All repeaters have trustees. All
coordinations have trustees. When the time comes there is no trustee for
any one of these, they are abandoned. (such as a SK which results in no
trustee for the license, repeater and/or coordination)

In my area, there are provisions for a backup trustee for the
coordination. If the primary trustee passes away, or moves, or becomes
otherwise unable to perform his duties, the backup can automatically
receive the coordination - after due process, of course. This ensures
that a coordination is not left "in the balance" being fought over
between two people should someone become a SK. The backup is specified
by the primary trustee and is a form of a will for the coordination.
(and there have been cases where a SK's coordination was claimed by more
than one person in the past. It can get REALLY ugly REALLY fast. This
solves that issue.

Joe M.