Actually, there is national mutual recognition of coordinators and not
just anyone can establish themselves as a coordinator. It would require
cross-coordination with surrounding coordinators which is not going to
happen unless the existing coordinator goes belly-up (as happened in NYC
and has been since resolved). A number of people have tried to form
competing coordinators, but that did not last when they found they
didn't have the support of the existing 'user' base in their area.

Technically, I am not prohibited from calling myself the frequency
coordinator for "my repeater site". Logistically, I don't think the FCC
would recognize me as such. They would see through that thin veil, as
would any court.

The FCC would not have to establish standards - the coordinators have
already done that for themselves (and those standards are quite good).
The FCC would only have to endorse what already exists. But, the FCC
doesn't really want to do anything with coordination in Amateur Radio.
It's working, so in a sense I can't blame them. It would likely only
upset the status-quo if they tried messing with it in any way.

Joe M.