At 11:33 PM 05/30/08, you wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>I am trying to build a circuit to roll of the discriminator audio
>coming out of my UHF Mastr II receiver.  I have one of those
>controllers that does "smart squelch" by paying attention to the high
>frequency noise and it seems the Mastr II receiver does not have
>adequate filtering to stop the 455khz IF frequency.
>
>The manufacturer says this is a problem they are aware of with Mastr
>II's and recommends a 10 mH inductor in line with a 1000 pF cap to
>ground to get the discriminator audio to roll off far under 455khz.
>
>Now, I'm pretty new at this so am not sure exactly what I'm looking
>for in a 10 mH inductor.   I have found locally some "high current RF
>chokes" rated at 10 mH inductance, and when I search on Mouser for a
>10 mH inductor it returns many thousands of results.    The cheapest
>thing I can find on Mouser is a tiny through-the-hole component to
>mount on a board and has a small current rating, but I suspect this
>would be fine for this purpose.
>
>Has anybody out there built such a filter to handle the 455khz IF
>frequency in the Mastr II receiver before, and could you recommend
>more specifically what kind of 10 mH inductor I'm looking for?
>
>Thanks much
>
>Mark Hagler
>W7WMH Seattle

Someone is misunderstanding something.  I have NEVER seen
a situation where the IF frequency leaks into the received audio.
And if it is, you fix the radio, not add a band-aid outside it.

Anyway, if you are talking about rolling off the audio, or
de-emphasizing it, read this article:
<http://www.repeater-builder.com/tech-info/flataudio.html>

Then this one:
<http://www.repeater-builder.com/tech-info/fmtheorydiscussion.html>
Yes, there is some repeated material, but when you have two people
writing on the same topic some repetition is going to happen.

Then this one:
<http://www.repeater-builder.com/tech-info/pdemph-post.html>

Mike WA6ILQ