My mother-in-law's condo also had a problem.  My electrician neighbor
came over to do some wiring work and found out that the outside outlets
were not connected to the GFI.  We figured that the original contractors
working the job were tired of resetting the GFI all day due to their
faulty tools, so they bypassed the GFI.  Then they forgot to rewire it
back when they were done.  These guys were prime candidates for the
Darwin Award.

73, Joe, K1ike