To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2008 04:47:25 +0000
Subject: [Repeater-Builder] Re: RadioShack Recalls Power Supplies Due to
Electrocution and Fire Hazards

            <<<"Nevertheless, I see inadequate and

sometimes dangerous electrical installations almost on a daily

basis...">>>

Another "war story" that goes with your comment.  Shortly after I

retired, I took a job with a company that was located in a former

International Harvester building doing general maintenance type work.

 Part of that job included running over the rough concrete floors with

a cleaning machine.  In one unused part of the building, I saw a

length of several fairly heavy wires lying on the floor, near a puddle

of water (the roof leaked in that section of the building).  I thought

I'd just coil them up and hang them on a spike on the wall near where

they originated.  I picked up the wires and started to coil them up

and as I straightened them out I hit the end of the wires and they

soundly hit me back with one of the most painful shocks I can recall

receiving.  It turned out that those lines were part of a 440 volt,

three phase line that was never turned off when the equipment was

moved out of the area.  Once again, I was very lucky in that the only

injury was one gigantic scare over what might have happened.  Another

lesson, never ASS-ume that a line is dead until you confirm it.  Had

my other hand been grounded, I probably wouldn't be telling this story

now.

Tom

--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Lemmon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Don,

> Your dad is a man I can relate to and admire!  I am an ICBO/IAEI

Certified

> Electrical Inspector, although that has nothing whatsoever to do with my

> employment in the aerospace business.  Nevertheless, I see

inadequate and

> sometimes dangerous electrical installations almost on a daily basis  My

> next-door neighbor once called me over to check some wiring he added

to his

> garage for some power tools.  He had run some 18/2 SPT, commonly

called "zip

> cord", from a light socket above his washing machine over to a

receptacle

> box he added for a drill press.  He said that the drill press stalled

> easily, and he often smelled a "burning odor."  Duh!  Not only was

the zip

> cord extension a violation of several articles of the National

Electrical

> Code, but it was undersized for the load and there was no grounding

> conductor!  He was absolutely clueless about safe and legal electrical

> wiring.  At my urging, he hired a competent electrician to install a

new and

> dedicated branch circuit for his workbench.

> 73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY

bathroom where

> the GFI is compromised?

> I'd relate that to "old sparky" in one of the state's pens, (say in

Florida)

> where the lethal death penality still exists.

> My Dad was an electrician and an electrical inspector for a city in

> Wisconsin. I still remember to this day when he would be out inspecting

> jobs, me along with him, and get really MAD when he saw something

like you

> have just described.

> I'll never forget the day when he called up an electrical contractor

and

> told him if he didn't fix the problem within 24 hours, he would yank

his

> license and refer him to the police department for endangering the

public's

> welfare.

> He was not a "liked" inspector, but was trusted within the electrical

> community. And he slept very well at night.

> Don, KD9PT

exchanging the

> > neutral and ground leads inside the case. Although the power

supply will

> > operate just fine when wired this way, there is the possibility

that the

> > unit may be plugged into an improperly-wired receptacle- which

happens

> > often

> > when do-it-yourselfers change out a receptacle. If the receptacle

ground

> > connection is poor or does not exist, the power supply enclosure

can be

> > energized at 120 VAC and pose a severe shock hazard. Simple outlet

> > testers

> > normally will not detect such wiring errors, leading to false

confidence.

> > 73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY

Bungholio

> > Sent: Friday, July 04, 2008 8:49 AM

> > To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com

> <mailto:Repeater-Builder%40yahoogroups.com>

> > Subject: RE: [Repeater-Builder] RadioShack Recalls Power Supplies

Due to

> > Electrocution and Fire Hazards

> > I have one so we will see what they do when I bring it back in. It

hasn't

> > burst into flames yet.

> > From: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com

> <mailto:Repeater-Builder%40yahoogroups.com>

Hazards

> > WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in

> > cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary

recall

> > of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using

recalled

> > products

> > immediately unless otherwise instructed.

> > Name of Product: 13.8V DC Power Supplies

> > Units: About 160,000

> > Importer: RadioShack Corp., of Fort Worth, Texas

> > Hazard: The recalled power supplies are wired incorrectly, posing

> > electrocution and fire hazards.

> > Incidents/Injuries: None reported.

> > catalog numbers 22-507 and 22-508 with date codes from

> > 08A04 through 01A08.

> > Date code format is MMAYY where MM is the month and YY is the

year. The

> > catalog number and date code are located on the back of the power

supply.

> > Power Supplies with a green dot on the product and the product's

packaging

> > have already been repaired and are not included in the recall.

> > Sold at: RadioShack stores nationwide from October 2004 through

January

> > 2008 for between $50 and $85.

> > Manufactured in: China

> > Remedy: Consumers should unplug the recalled power supply

immediately and

> > take it to

> > any RadioShack store for a free repair. Registered owners of the

recalled

> > power supplies

> > will be mailed a notice.

> > Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact RadioShack at

> > 800-843-7422 anytime,

> > or visit the firm's website at:

> > http://www.radioshack.com/recall <http://www.radioshack.com/recall>

> > <http://www.radioshack.com/recall <http://www.radioshack.com/recall> >

> > To see this recall on CPSC's web site, including pictures of the

recalled