Shanon KA8SPW wrote:
> Here is an idea.
>
>   How about those of us who have repeaters with duplexers take
> measurements and post them.

1. I'm not disconnecting all my working system's cables to measure
things.  Messing with cables and connectors is a sure-fire way to
introduce new problems.

2. You got $400, I'll drive to all my sites and back.  Gas is high, and
one site is more than 100 miles round-trip.

3. They make test gear for a reason.  Anyone can sit at a bench and get
the cable lengths right on a duplexer with trial-and-error.

4. Too many variables, unless you were only talking about a specific
duplexer brand.  The loops inside the cans are part of the electrical
length of the cables.  And different velocity factor cables even with
supposedly the SAME NUMBER TYPE are out there.

5. Most good quality duplexers on the used market for VHF and UHF start
life with cable lengths that are "close enough" for most ham
applications, unless you're pulling some strange stuff in from way out
of band or you're at the "wrong end" of the band.  You'll see if your
duplexer is whacked the first time you go to tune it, otherwise -- leave
the cables alone.

Oh yeah... the main reason:

Mine work already.  (I know, I know... that's not nice, but I do have
other things to do.)

There's probably more, but that about covers why I don't think a lot of
people will participate in such a project.

Nate WY0X