Mike Dietrich wrote:
> What is the best way(hookup) to "test" cables like these to see if they
> are resonant on a particular freq?
> With or without the coupling loops attached etc. for duplexers say

The technique I've seen used and participated in is to test the entire
section of the duplexer as a unit (with appropriate 50 ohm loads on the
other side) using a tracking generator/spectrum analyzer, after getting
the individual cans in tune.

If connecting multiple cans and testing through them "pulls" the tuning
of the cans (there are multiple "humps" in the image shown), the cable
lengths are wrong.  When the lengths are correct, two cans "add" to make
a steeper/taller pass... for example.

(It's easier to see this than to describe it in e-mail.  Maybe someone
will send some screen-shots of what it looks like someday... I've tried
taking photos of my IFR 1500 with my cheap digital camera (4MP
point-and-shoot Nikon) and it just doesn't look right.

Someone with an HP service monitor would have a bigger screen and along
with a good camera could probably capture what it looks like better.

This technique is a "wholistic" approach to it, I suppose you could call
it.

You're shooting for the length that ends up looking the best after
tuning the individual cans, and locking them down.  As long as
everything else has proper 50 ohm loads on everything that's not under
test.  Also always a good idea to use a 6dB 50 ohm pads between the
signal generator and the device under test... of course.  Normal
practice... just in case.  (Depending on the test gear and the device
being tested, things can get really squirrelly if the test gear is
expecting a 50 ohm load and doesn't have one...)

It includes the loops this way, of course... because the end-result
you're shooting for is that particular duplexer to work at your desired
frequency.

I hear this process is even nicer to do with a Vector Network Analyzer,
but I've never even seen such a beast, let alone used one.

Nate WY0X