> The spinning aluminum disk in the kilowatthour meter
> found on most residential service-entrance panels measures
> true power in kilowatts versus time, which equals energy.

There is also an inertia requirement built into older disk
meter movements.

In a low duty cycle applications (non compressed SSB Radio
opoperation) and other very brief pulse demands the meter
disk doesn't spin up as fast as the peak demand.

Some people think about this as a potential free peak energy
source. I've seen devices designed to take advantage and
contribute to/from the mains power using this informational
tidbit.

s.