Since I'm way more into RF than industrial power distribution, I've
always been able to think of "power factor" on the electrical power
grid in terms similar to antenna system reflections, which are
commonly measured in terms of SWR. After all, both are AC systems
where the voltage and current bear a phase relationship to each
other.

When they are perfectly in phase the power factor is 1.0, and a 60-Hz
SWR meter would measure 1:1. When they are out of phase (power factor
<1) that SWR meter would read greater than 1:1. I suspect, though I
haven't done the math or looked up the specific matahematical
definition of power factor, that it would be direcly proportional to
the reciprocal of the power factor. And as we know, when that happens
the power generating end has more difficulty delivering power
efficiently to the load.

The main difference is that at 60 Hz, the wavelengths are EXTREMELY
long. I'm wondering if engineers and technicians who deal with cross-
country power distribution must have to consider SWR effects on the
power transmission line. In practice in homes and small factories, I
would think, the SWR on the line caused by a mismatch between the
characteristic impedance of the transmission line and the load is an
insignificant factor, like worrying about the SWR measurement shift
caused by a two-foot RG-213 jumper on 160M. At least as far as the
transmission line is concerned - no significant voltage and current
nodes and loops developed along the line like on an RF transmission
line.

A simplistic or impractical way of looking at things? I don't know.
Maybe. Works for me.

I know this is veering OT, but I beg your indulgence. This reminds me
of something I heard a couple hams talking about on HF several years
ago when we had sunspots: The effects of the electrical energy
circulating in the ionosphere during solar storms and magnetic
storms. I understand the frequency of the oscillations can be quite
low but very, very strong.

Seems to me the only "Antennas" long enough to be a significant
portion of a wavelength and therefore long enough to pick up a
significant "signal" would be long cross-country electrical power
transmission lines. Since they are close together in terms of
wavelength at low frequencies, the signal would be common-mode. I've
always wanted to ask someone who might have experience in this regard
what sort of effects these ionospheric phenomena have on the power
distribution network.

Ramble off.
73,
Brad KB9BPF