-----Original Message-----
From: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com  On Behalf Of Eric Lemmon

Mark,

Now, I'm the one who is confused!  I just looked at a UHF community repeater
and noticed that it has a TRN6421APR backplane.  However, it is equipped
with a TRN6165A Master Decoder.  I therefore wonder if the TLN5803A Master
Decoder you have even belongs to that machine.  I confirmed, as you did,
that Pin 24 on the TRN6165A Master Decoder has no connection.  Is it
possible that the previous owner simply stuffed the chassis with leftover
pull-outs?

The TRN6421APR backplane PCB has the following module assignments, right to
left:

1 - Timeout Timer
2 - Station Control
3 - Squelch Gate
4 - Single Tone Decoder
5 - Master Decoder
6 - Four-User Control
7 - Ditto
8 - Ditto
9 - Ditto
10 - Diode Logic
11 - Multi-TPL Encoder
12 - Multi DPL Encoder

I have no manuals for a Community Repeater, so I do not have any means to
follow the signal path via schematics.  That said, it seems to me that a
"Multi-TPL Encoder" in Slot 11 would generate the unique PL tone that the
repeater would transmit.  You did not state if such a module was installed
in your station, so I wonder if that is why your station is not encoding the
tone.  As others have noted, it is always preferable to filter out and then
regenerate a PL tone, rather than allow it to pass through a repeater.  The
reason for that is two-fold:  Some cheap user radios have very poor tone
purity, and may be difficult to decode, and some user radios have
widely-varying tone deviation that range from not enough to double or triple
the "proper" level.

73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY